Howard Wind Project (Howard, New York)
The proposed Howard Wind Project will be located in the Town of Howard, about 30 miles northwest of Corning, New York. Comprised of approximately 25 turbines, the project will be scattered throughout some 7,000 acres of primarily farm land in south-central New York.
The Town of Howard Planning Board issued a Conditional Use Permit for the project on July 28, 2008. The project is currently under construction and should be producing clean energy for New York by the end of 2011.
This website is intended as a resource for general information about the wind farm and will provide up-to-date information about the progress of environmental studies, permit applications, and technical assessments as the project moves forward.
The Town of Howard Wind Energy Facilities Application for the Howard Wind Farm Project is now available here.
The Steuben County Industrial Development Agency [SCIDA] information for the Howard Wind Project is now available here.
The Final Environmental Impact Statement [FEIS] for the Howard Wind Project is available here.
Click Project Details above to view more information about the project.
Project News and Site Updates
- U.S. Department of Energy - 01/10/2011: Study shows wind turbines may benefit crops
- Illinois State University study determines wind development does not damage property values
- Long Island Business News - 9/30/2010: Study finds NY grid ready for wind power
- Disclosures Related To The NY Attorney General's Code of Conduct
- NY Attorney General Code of Conduct - 8/19/2009
- Alliance for Clean Energy New York - 3/30/2009: Annual Lewis County Survey Finds Overwhelming Support for Wind Energy
- Hornell Evening Tribune - 9/24/08: Cohocton taxes to go down 30%... again
- Steuben County Industrial Agency - Findings Statement
- Albany NY Times Union - 1/13/08: Wind projects generate jobs
- North American Windpower - 1/8/08: Nordex Enters Wind Turbine Agreement With Everpower
- The Observer - 12/12/07: Wind power brings new life to town
- Science Daily - 12/7/07: Wind Power Need Not Be Backed Up By An Equal Amount Of Reserve Power
- PennFuture interview with PJM : PJM on Wind
- CNN Money article on renewable energy: Renewable energy could power half the nation
- Howard Wind Project Newsletter - Issue 5
- Howard Wind Project Newsletter - Issue 4
- Spring 2006 Avian Study added to Project Details/Environmental Studies
- 2006 Hoen Study on Property Values added to FAQ
- Howard Wind Project Newsletter - Issue 2
- Article in the 2/9/06 Hornell NY Evening Tribune: Howard passes wind ordinance
- Benefits of Renewable Energy for New York State Report added to Benefits of Wind
- Avian Impact Study added to Project Details/Environmental Studies
- Howard Open House - 10/22/05
- Press Release - 10/22/05
- Howard Wind Project Newsletter - Volume 2
- Field Trip to the Fenner Wind Farm
- Howard Wind Project Newsletter - Volume 1
- Press Release - 4/14/05